GTA Branch 2018 Annual General Meeting Minutes
March 28, 2018
Granite Brewery 245 Eglinton Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario M4P 3B7
5:00 p.m. Meet and Greet
5:30 p.m. Dinner
6:00 p.m. Call to Order By Stan Buday
- Approval of Tonight’s Agenda
- Review of Previous AGM Minutes President’s Report
- Financial Report
- 4 Members-at-large
- Nominations accepted in writing – Dave Vicar
- Guest Speakers
- General Question Period
- Draw for Door Prizes
Meeting called to order 6:00 p.m.
Stan Buday opened the meeting and welcomed the 80 + members in attendance.
Approval of the Agenda
- Motion to approve the Agenda Faron Moses, 2nd Kuini Chuen
Review of Previous Minutes
- Review of Previous AGM 2016 Minutes
- Motion Nang Quach, 2nd Tommy George
Stan Introduced the GTA Branch Executive Members and commented on their significant and collaborative contribution to the Branch.
- President Stan Buday
- Vice President Andrea Agh
- Secretary (Retired) Ralph Leigh
- Treasurer Roy Phillip
- Member at Large Stephan Moushian (Retired) communications
- Member at Large Alice DaSilva
- Brian Quigg (retired) attends events and meetings as regular guest & valuable consultant
- Member at Large Karina Bogdanova
- Member at Large Faron Moses
- Member at Large Yvonne Snaddon
- Member at Large Kuini Chuen
- Member at Large Yu Gao
Stan noted the GTA Branch is one of the most active Branches, discussed structure and mandate of a Branch thanks to the contribution of these people.
Stan Buday provided an overview of Branch Activity since the March 2016 AGM. Activities included;
- Update regarding membership. Stan emphasized the size of the Branch
- Provided a review of the roles of a branch
- Reviewed the events of the Branch over the previous year
- Sending 13 delegates to the Ontario Regional Council including Executive members and additional people involved in union activity.
- Four Branch Executive meetings
- GTA Branch AGM was held on March 28, 2018 at the Granite Pub and Brewery
- Strategic Planning Meeting
- Summer Social
- Winter Social event which was post traditional holiday was very well attended.
- Branch Networking events were held at various locations though the city.
Encouraged members to attend future events as it is an opportunity to express concerns and discuss issues.
- The Toronto Area Family Picnic took place on July 23, 2017 at Rennie Park near
High Park in Toronto’s west end in Mimico. Over 100 members and their families from several Branches in Toronto attended. One of the best attended.
- This year’s Steward Appreciation Dinner was held at Sempre
- Strategic planning sessions will be held following the ORC. We review our
objectives and the calendar of events, meetings, budget and activities.
- Stan emphasized that if members want events in their area, ask and we can set up
an event at your workplace.
- Stan Buday moved to accept his report, 2nd by Meng Koh
Roy Philip provided a detailed report on the Branch’s allocation spending activity.
Opening Balance Jan 1 2017 XXXX
2017 Allocation XXXX
Environment Canada contribution to GTA Branch Picnic XXXX
Total Income XXXX
2017 Branch AGM XXXX
Executive Meetings XXXX
Networking Events XXXX
Branch Picnic XXXX
Info Sessions XXXX
Steward Appreciation XXXX
Total Expenses XXXX
Closing Balance (December 31, 2017-adj.) XXXX
Motion to accept Faron, 2nd Kuini
No email nominations were received for Members at Large or President.
A total of 5 Members at large, 2 year term and 1 year term and the position of Vice President are due for election
Nomination for VP
Members at Large Nominated in writing
Nominated form the floor for member at large
Standing for re-election
- Chris Ouslis
- Scott Thompson
- Yvonne Snaddon
- Kuini Chuen
- Nusin Brown
- Yu Gao
- Motion to destroy the ballots Faron, 2nd Alice
Retired Members Guild gave a presentation
Stan provided an update regarding bargaining and sick leave plan.
A detailed summary of benefits, terms and costs were presented to the group.
Stan Buday conducted a question period.
Peter Gilkinson also conducted a question session.
30 Door prizes were awarded by a random draw of tickets. Prizes were PIPSC branded items.
- Call for Adjournment
- Moved by Faron Moses
Meeting was adjourned at 8:35 PM.