Office Closure

The National Office and the National Capital Regional Office are closed today and will reopen Tuesday September 25, 2018 at 8:00 am.

Meeting Minutes

BC/Yukon Region - Regional Executive  

Saturday, September 16th, 2017  Scheduled 9 am - 5 pm

Pacific Gateway Hotel

Present

Robert MacDonald (Regional Director)

Phil Mantler (Chair)

Karen Hall (Secretary)

Ken Antao (Member at Large)

Pierre Charpentier (Member at Large)

Adele McLean (Member at Large)

Guest

Ernie McLean

Regrets

Pete MacDougall (Treasurer, Training Committee - Chair)

Carl Cahoon (Vice Chair, Awards Committee - Chair)

Summary of Action Items

  • R MacDonald to follow-up on how Marriott Points are currently used
  • R MacDonald to discuss Training Committee reports with Chair
  • P MacDougall to present discussion on changes to steward program
  • R MacDonald to follow up with C Cahoon regarding Steward of the Year selection

Carry forward to future agendas

  • Awards Committee to review Terms of Reference and bring forward for support (October)
  • Alternate Selection (October)
  • Awards Committee ToR (October)
  • Reports from the Branch Liaison, working group on BC Federation Membership and from the leads on National initiatives (October)
  • Designated Youth position on exutive (December)
  • Youth in Region and Regional Symposium (December)

Mentorship in the region (Future)

Meeting called to order – 9:00 am

Regional Executive Orientation

  • R MacDonald and E McLean presented an overview of PIPSC Structure, Executive roles and responsibilities, review of by-laws and regulations and a brief discussion on the vision of the team going forward

Regional Executive Meeting
1.    Approval of Agenda  (All)

  • Motion to approve the agenda
  • Approved by consent - carried

2.    Approval of Previous Minutes (All)

  • Motion to approve the June 2nd , 2017 Minutes   
  • M/S R MacDonald/A McLean– carried

3.    Business Arising from February 17th  Minutes  (All)
a)    Use of Marriot Reward Points - Completed

  • R MacDonald reported that we are no longer in a contractual relationship with the Marriott across the country

b)    Policies tab on PIPSC BC/Yukon Region Webpage - Completed

  • K Hall confirmed that we can have a specific tab and the policies are in process of being translated and posted

c)    PIPSC AGM Regional Caucus – Completed

  • R MacDonald has ensured that a room is booked and will continue to liaise with P MacDougall

d)    Branch Liaisons – Brought forward into Agenda
e)    Resolution for AGM – Completed
f)    Alternate Selection – Carry forward to October Agenda
g)    Awards Committee Terms of Reference Review – Carry Forward to October Agenda
h)    Regional Exec Orientation and review of Roles and Responsibilities – Completed
i)    Region Youth Committee – Brought forward into Agenda

4.    Regional Executive Chair Report (P Mantler)

  • Provided a verbal report on the Professional Requirements and Qualifications Committee
  • Resolution from 2016 Regional Council was forwarded for this AGM

5.    Regional Director Report   (R. MacDonald)

  • Motion to accept the Regional Director Report June 1st to September 15th 2017
  • M/S R MacDonald/K Hall –carried
  • Report is attached

6.    Financial Report  (P. MacDougall)

  • Motion to accept the Treasurer Report
  • M/S P Charpentier/K Antao– carried
  • A summary was provided by the Chair based on a report sent by email by P MacDougall provided a brief report about the finances of the Regional Executive

7.    Regional Training Committee Report (P MacDougall)

  • Training Committee has not met since June 2017
  • A Report from the National Committee was not available
  • R MacDonald to follow-up to request that training reports are available for approval at the Regional Executive Meetings
  • R MacDonald expressed concern about having timely presentations to the Regional Executive, of information discussed at the Training and Education Committee.  Importance in the group understanding the discussion around changes to the steward program

8.    Business Arising from 2017 Regional Council
a)    Study the Pros and Cons of joining the BC Federation of Labour

  • A motion was presented as follows: The Regional Executive will strike an ad hoc working group to study pros and cons of membership with the BC Federation of Labour.
  • m/s P Charpentier/R MacDonald – carried
  • K Hall will work with A McLean

9.    New Business
a)    Regional Executive Liaisons with Branches (All)

  • R MacDonald reported that some regions have a formal Branch liaison position with varying responsibilities
  • The Executive discussed the potential role of a Branch Liaison with respect to Branch oversight (as per the by-laws) or support for the branches
  • A motion was presented as follows: The Regional Executive will select one Executive member to be a branch liaison to support regional coordination with the Branches as directed by the Regional Executive
  • m/s K Hall/K Antao - carried
  • P Charpentier was selected to take on this role

b)    Awards Committee Terms of Reference (C Cahoon)

  • C Cahoon was unfortunately not present and this item is forwarded to October
  • R MacDonald to follow up with C Cahoon regarding recommendation for Steward of the Year
  • This will be shared with Executive later for discussion

c)    BC/Yukon Region Youth Symposium (All)

  • This will not occur in 2017 but there are plans to support this in Spring 2018
  • Executive decided to wait for input from Regional Youth after the National Youth Symposium
  • Carry forward to December agenda:
  • Designated Youth position on the Regional Executive
  • Youth in the Region and seeking input

d)    National Initiatives (R MacDonald)

  • R MacDonald requested leads on various national initiatives
  • Legacy Fund – K Antao
  • 100th PIPSC Anniversary – P Charpentier
  • Better Together – P Mantler
  • Government Relations – A McLean

10.    Next Meeting(s)

  • October 19th, 2017 1- 5 (prior to steward council)
  • December 1, 2017 (To be confirmed)
  • February (To be confirmed)

11.    Adjournment @ 3:45 pm   m/s P Charpentier/K Antao - carried   

Regional Director’s Report – September 16, 2017 – Regional Executive Meeting

Period: June 1, 2017 – September 15, 2017
Board Initiatives
Pursuant to the board mandate letters, my focus over this last period has included:

  • Chair, Executive Compensation Committee:
    • Tasks from BOD approved 3-year Work Plan and BOD assigned tasks.
    • Currently conducting a Pre-Triennial Review Process (Gap Analysis) and initiating activities for the Triennial Review of full-time elected officials.
  • Board Liaison, Science Advisory Committee and Science:
    • Tasks from BOD approved 3-Year Strategic Plan.    
    • Participated in a series of workshops/meetings/conference calls on developing a Science Integrity Policy model for consultation with science departments.
  • Assist in the delivery of the key results area of “Model Organization” in areas of governance and strategy planning for the Institute:
    • Undertaking a governance review for the Institute and supporting BOD initiatives.
    • Completed a memorandum on the ‘Authority of the Executive Committee’ for the BOD.
    • Provided a summary memorandum and recommendations from the IFEBP’s Foundation of Trust Management and 50th Annual Canadian Benefits Conference (jointly with Director Kim Skanes).

This was another successful period for the Institute in areas of bargaining, government relations and service delivery.  Considerable effort continues to be undertaken by President Daviau, and almost every area of the Institute, to work on this disaster called Phoenix or pay modernization.   This will be a very long process.  You will see an increased focus by the Institute on Contracting Out (which is a major reason we are seeing things like Phoenix and the stalling of email transformation).  Our work in advocacy and government relations will be increasing over time.
Over this period in the Region, considerable work has gone into planning for Steward Council, scheduled for October 20 and 21, 2017 in Richmond.  Steward Council will have an increased focus on steward engagement (Roger Haskett from Engagement Unlimited will be joining us again this year!), wellness (the start of a year of wellness for stewards) and knowledge (technical, attributes and characteristics) for our Stewards.   See the Regional Directors Report for more information on the Region.  
As always, let me know if you would like to assist in organizing any Better Together Initiatives or our upcoming Regional Events.  


Events

  • Regional Executive Meetings / Events:
    • Regional Executive Meeting – May 1
  • Regional Meetings / Events / Conference Calls:
    • Library and Archives Canada LMCC – May 1
    • Vice-President Hindle Roundtable Meeting – May 2
    • Branch President’s Meeting – May 2
    • Regional Council – May 2 & 3
    • Victoria Branch BBQ – May 8
    • Vancouver Branch Steward Appreciation Event – May 13
    • Library and Archives Canada LMCC – June 22
    • Tourism Canada Lunch and Learn – July 10
    • BCFNHA Executive Meetings – July 25 & 27
    • BCFNHA JCC – August 2
    • SP Sub Group Presidents’ Western Zone Meeting – August 19
  • Board Meetings / National Events:
    • Board of Directors Meeting – June 16 & 17
    • PIPSC Group Life Insurance Trust Meeting – June 19
    • Science Advisory Committee – June 23
    • Executive Compensation Committee – June 28
    • Science Integrity Policy Workshop – July 4
    • Foundations of Trust Management Course – July 20, 21 & 22
    • Regional Directors Meeting – July 28
    • Science Integrity Policy Meeting – August 9
    • Board of Directors Meeting / Training – August 10, 11 & 12
    • Canadian Annual Employee Benefits Conference – August 20-23
    • Women In Science Conference Calls – August 8 & September 12

In Solidarity
Rob
Robert K. MacDonald, B.A., MRM
Steward
Director, BC/Yukon Region