Office Closure

The National Office and the National Capital Regional Office are closed today and will reopen Tuesday September 25, 2018 at 8:00 am.

DND HALIFAX BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING: Sep 14/2017

ChAINYARD URBAN CIDERY AGRICOLA ST

MINUTES AND ACTIONS OF THE MEETING

MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 4:35 PM

WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS:

 

Present:  Everett Scott – President, Jenn Cantwell – Vice-President, Mounah Zrein – Treasurer,  Paul Smith – Secretary, Mike MacIsaac, Kevin Jack and Catherine Courtney – Members at Large

  1. CALL FOR ADDED AGENDA ITEMS

Everett welcomed everyone to the meeting. Mounah handed out a financial sheet to be discussed later. Everett asked if there were any new agenda items. None were put forth.

  1. MOTION TO ACCEPT AGENDA

Everett asked for a motion to accept the agenda. Jenn moved to accept the agenda and Mike seconded the motion and the agenda was accepted as presented.

  1. REVIEW OF MINUTES FROM (Jun 8th   Meeting)

Everett asked if there were any errors or omissions with the minutes. There were no changes put forth.

  1. MOTION TO ACCEPT MINUTES

Everett asked for a motion to accept the minutes. Mounah moved to accept the minutes and Jenn seconded the motion and the minutes were accepted as presented.

5.   REVIEW OF ACTION ITEMS (Jun 8th meeting)

Mounah gave a financial update (see below). Action item completed.

Don and Everett were able to secure additional/alternative funding to offset budget reduction(s).  Action item completed.

Jenn talked about Hop Skip and Jump social event. Decided that it would be best  to schedule during winter months (Feb or Mar 2018).

Action: To follow up with details of Hop Skip Jump social activity late 2017    or early 2018.

No change with CFNES LMRC meetings.

Action: Everett to contact Cdr Lebelle to discuss CFNES LMRC.

New member’s mailing list was sent to Don. Action item completed.

6.   FINANCIAL UPDATE

Mounah spent considerable time discussing the branch budget. He expects to get money back from the Halifax branch for the Shakespeare by the Sea social event.

Action: Don and Mounah to determine reimbursement for above event.

Action: Mounah to provide further financial update at next meeting.

7.   CONSULTATION

Everett mentioned that Dave Rutherford is our rep for the National Level LMRC   for the FMF's. This is a good thing as we haven't always been represented.

Everett also mentioned the Marlant Disability Management program is being set up. Both Jenn and Kevin mentioned that this is a long over due program. Shaun Buckley was mentioned as a good choice for our rep.  

Everett mentioned the recent Change of Command Ceremony. He was encouraged by the mention of the importance of consultation with unions.

8.   SOCIAL EVENTS

Executive spent a few minutes discussing social events. Topics discussed were a fall or new year Hatfield Farm event, Hop Skip and Jump event in the new year  and maybe a co-sponsored Golf day with the Halifax branch next year.

9BRANCH AGM 2018

Everett said he was looking into the possibility of holding a co-AGM with the Halifax branch (May-Nov 2018 time frame). It is in the early stages of discussion, but has the advantages of sharing costs (door prizes and meals) and scheduling logistics (guest speakers).

 Action: Everett and Mounah to determine ramifications from possibly delaying our AGM to coincide with the Halifax branch.

10.  Round Table

Kevin suggested allocating some of our budget (~$XXX) to sponsor a few science  initiatives (e.g. High School Robotics competition, Science Fairs) in the local area designed for High School and University students. We would provide financial support (which Jenn thought could take the form of buying pizza for participants) and might provide some PIPSC swag. Each year we would look at sponsoring  different events consistent with PIPSC support of Science.   He asked that he be  allowed to investigate possible events and be asked to report his findings at our next executive meeting in October. Agreed.

Action: Kevin to report back on possible science events.

Mounah thanked Jenn for arranging Chain Yard Urban Cidery and Restaurant for our Executive meeting.

Jenn reported that she is going to keep track of all the expenses she incurs as part of being an Observer at the PIPSC AGM in November 2017. She is trying to keep her expenses to a minimum.

With no further issues needing discussion the meeting adjourned at 1744hrs.

Next meeting:  Oct 26?.         

 

Action Items from Halifax DND Executive Meeting Sep 14th /17

Mounah

To provide further financial update at next meeting.

Next Meeting

Don & Mounah

To determine reimbursement for Shakespeare event.

ASAP

Jenn

To send email to executive with details of Hop Skip Jump social  activity.

Before
Jan /Feb 2018

Everett

CFNES LMRC -Everett to contact Cdr Lebelle to discuss. If no progress, then to contact Glenn Maxwell.

ASAP

Everett and Mounah

To determine ramifications from possibly delaying our AGM to coincide with the Halifax branch.

Next Meeting

Kevin

Kevin to report back on possible science events

Next meeting