DND HALIFAX BRANCH EXECUTIVE MEETING: Jun 21/2018
MINUTES AND ACTIONS OF THE MEETING
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 4:38 PM
WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS:
Present: Everett Scott – President, Mounah Zrein – Treasurer, Paul Smith – Secretary, Mike MacIsaac, Don Eldershaw, Heather Mackay and Kevin Jack – Members at Large.
1. CALL FOR ADDED AGENDA ITEMS
Everett welcomed everyone to the meeting. Everett asked if there were any new agenda items. None were put forth.
2. MOTION TO ACCEPT AGENDA
Everett asked for a motion to accept the agenda. Kevin moved to accept the agenda and Heather seconded the motion and the agenda was accepted as presented.
3. REVIEW OF MINUTES FROM (Apr 12th Meeting)
Everett asked if there were any errors or omissions with the minutes. There were no changes put forth.
4. MOTION TO ACCEPT MINUTES
Everett asked for a motion to accept the minutes. Mounah moved to accept the minutes and Paul seconded the motion and the minutes were accepted as presented.
5. REVIEW OF ACTION ITEMS (Apr 12th meeting)
Nothing new on Hop Skip and Jump social event.
Action: Revisit idea in early fall and extend invite to Halifax branch and RMG members.
STEM EVENTS - Mounah reported that the NR sub-group tentatively committed (based on their new allotment) to contribute (no more than $XXX.00) to the STEM event. Action: Mounah to confirm NR subgroup contribution.
- Everett reported that he discussed with Matt Macleod about the RE group also contributing to the STEM event.
Action: Everett to confirm RE group contribution.
Kevin then expanded on the progress of planning the STEM event. He passed out a print out detailing two options for the sponsorship. Executive agreed unanimously to support option where Kevin will attend three events. Prizes will be Sobeys gift cards and total cost will be $XXX.XX, hopefully to be shared between NR subgroup, RE group and our branch.
We are not 100% sure where we will be holding the shared AGM with Halifax branch. There seems to be a little uncertainty about location.
Action: Everett to confirm logistics of November AGM.
Mounah reviewed financial documents and determined that there is nothing preventing us from contributing to the Service Employees International Union Local 2.
6. FINANCIAL UPDATE
We currently have around $XXX.XX in our account. We have the following upcoming expenses:
- Mounah reimbursemnent for Skating Event
- Labour Day Contribution.
- BIS Family Day Contribution.
- FMFCS Funday (Paul to deliver to Dave Rutherford).
- Contribution to Service Employees International Union Local 2.
After this, we should have less than $XXX.00, but we should be getting our allotment soon ~$XXX.
Action: Mounah to provide financial update at next meeting.
Heather mentioned a poorly managed situation at BIS. In trying to raise funds during Public Service week, a raffle was proposed with 2 prizes, depending on whether you are civilian or military. Civilians were disappointed with the prize of a $XXX.00 gift card, compared to 2 short days off for military members of BIS. Supposedly in managements view, civilians cannot be granted time off in this fashion, something about we get OT instead.
Everett talked about the Consultation symposium he attended last weekend. Some topics discussed:
- TB agreed to replace Phoenix and unions will be consulted this time.
- Future consultations, activity based workspaces, scientific integrity.
Everett mentioned that Dave Rutherford attended a meeting about work descriptions. Dave to update.
8. SOCIAL EVENTS
Long discussion on holding some sort of an event: Macdonald beach, Halcon meet and greet etc.
Action: Don to send out email to members to determine interest. Completed.
9. PRESIDENTS MEETING
Everett spent a few minutes discussing the topics covered at the presidents meeting prior to the ARC. Pensions, contracting out and the rules for gift cards (can't be cash and less than $XXX.XX) were discussed.
10. ARC REPORT
Everyone who attended the ARC gave their impression of the 2 day event. One thing that is becoming more apparent: if you are serious about wanting to get elected to the council, you need to do some canvassing before the meeting.
10a. OFFICE OF DISABILITY MANAGEMENT
Everett spent a few minutes discussing the NEW ODM initiative. An organization is being set up in Sep to deal with IOD and workman’s compensation cases. They will be located at the LCC library and will offer advice only and will be independent from both managers and employees. Mike asked if these Disability Management Advisors are being hired as a way to deal with the void caused by the reductions in HR staff. Action: Everett to send out brief to members.
11. Round Table
Mike asked if it seems like supervisors are required to do more work in the staffing process. It was agreed that managers and HR staff are doing less when it comes to staffing.
Don mentioned the deadline for PIPSC scholarships and that it may be a good idea to try to line up a Liberal MP (Andy Fillmore) to give a brief on the governments possible new pharmacare program.
The meeting adjourned at 6:15 PM.
Next meeting: Thursday Sep 6th and location TBD.
Action Items from Halifax DND Executive Meeting June 21st /18
Jenn To send email to executive with details of Hop Skip Jump social activity. Next Meeting
Mounah Everett To confirm NR subgroup contribution.
To confirm RE group contribution. Next meeting
Everett To confirm logistics of November AGM (i.e. where, etc.) with Halifax branch executive. ASAP
Mounah To provide financial update at next meeting. Next Meeting
Everett To send out ODM brief to members. ASAP