Last week I was invited to meet with the Cabinet level working group on the Phoenix pay system to discuss potential solutions. I last met with the Cabinet committee in June 2017 and since then we have sadly seen little to no progress – in fact the problems continue to mount.
I took the time to remind them of the pain and suffering our members are still experiencing due to the Phoenix pay system. I wanted to make sure they do not forget the human side of this fiasco.
I also took the opportunity to deliver some key messages and asked them to do the following:
- Pay employees correctly and on time!
- Allocate more resources in departments and agencies to help employees with their pay problems.
- Nix Phoenix and start building an alternative system – one built by our own government IT professionals.
- Award damages to compensate for the problems Phoenix has inflicted on so many.
- Create a tax exemption for those who have experienced overpayments
I believe the Ministers understood the gravity of the issue and are working hard to find solutions. They themselves hear from many federal employees in their MP Constituency offices. I hope to hear news from them soon on our key priorities – we need to see progress. With the Federal Budget around the corner I am hopeful we will see a meaningful plan and investment to ensure federal employees are paid correctly and on time.
Help me keep the pressure on government to replace Phoenix with a system that works -- one built by federal IT experts. Email the ministerial working group today.