Audit, Commerce & Purchasing Group Executive Elections
At the request of the AV Group executive (and as per PIPSC By-Law 22.214.171.124) the PIPSC Elections committee is conducting the 2018 National AV Group elections to positions on the executive.
As per PIPSC By-Law 10.1.5, the AV Group executive may consist of 13 positions. We are calling for nominations to the following positions:
- President – one (1) position
- Vice-President – one (1) position
- Secretary – one (1) position
- Treasurer – one (1) position
- BC/Yukon Regional Representative – one (1) position
- Prairies/NWT Regional Representative – one (1) position
- National Capital Regional Representative – one (1) position
- Ontario Regional Representative – one (1) position
- Quebec Regional Representative – one (1) position
- Atlantic Regional Representative – one (1) position
- Members-at-Large – three (3) positions
Relevant AV Group By-Laws include:
- 6.2 The Group Executive will be composed of the following:
- 6.2.1 A President, a Vice-President, a Secretary, a Treasurer, members-at-Large up to the maximum permitted by Institute By-Laws shall be elected by and from the Group members through a National vote, and;
- 6.2.2 One (1) Regional Representative from each Region of the Institute shall be elected by the members of the respective Regions.
- 6.3 The term of office shall be three (3) years.
- 7.3.4 The candidate receiving the highest number of votes for a position shall be declared elected.
- 7.3.6 The newly elected Executive shall take office as of June 1st of the year of the election.
- 7.4.1 Only Regular members shall be eligible for election to the Group Executive. To be a candidate for the office of Regional Representative, a Regular member must be employed in the particular Region. A member cannot be a candidate for more than one (1) office in the same election.
The official nomination form is attached to this call and shall be completed accurately. Instructions are included on the nomination form. The Elections Committee shall scrutinize the nominations for eligibility and, if necessary, arrange for ballots to be distributed to all members eligible to vote in the election. Only scanned copies of completed nomination forms (.pdf files) and biographies in MS Word format will be accepted. The deadline for receipt of nomination documents, by email, is 09-Apr-2018 at 12:00 PM (noon) EDT. Voter’s Kits (as required) will be distributed on 27-April-2018 with a deadline for return of ballots on 25-May-2018 at 5:00 PM EDT.
- The duties of the AV Group Executive are listed as part of AV Group By-Law 6.7.
- Personal (non-work) email addresses and phone numbers are published to the AV Group members for all of the AV Group Executive.
- Candidates may not campaign in any manner while any PIPSC events are in session. Limited campaign activities (personal discussions or literature distribution) are permissible during breaks or social portions (meals or hospitality) of PIPSC events.
- PIPSC election rules for endorsements must be followed by all AV members. No Constituent Body may make a formal endorsement. (I.e. there should be no mention of Constituent Body support in any email, poster or newsletter, however, any AV members are free to indicate support for any candidate they wish.)
- When individuals express support for a candidate in an election, any statement of support or endorsement shall not contain an Institute or constituent body logo and shall contain the following disclaimer:
"This endorsement of candidate(s) in no way implies any endorsement of the candidate(s) by any Institute body, the Institute as a corporate body, or by the employees of the Institute."
- The use of AV or PIPSC logos or acronyms on any election related materials or communications, whether in hard copy or electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The use of images or words resembling the AV and / or PIPSC logos or acronyms is strictly prohibited.
- The Elections Committee prohibits the use of the employer’s email system and / or resources for AV National Executive election.
- The use of PIPSC membership lists, contact information or other resources for campaign purposes is prohibited. Contact information, including local distribution lists, may not be used in unsolicited bulk e-mailings. Examples of other PIPSC resources include but are not limited to the following items: Institute supplies and services, such as cell phone, letterhead, logo, envelopes, business cards, photocopiers and meeting rooms; or the involvement of Institute staff in a campaign in any manner.
- Negative campaigning does not provide useful information for voters to determine who they should support, and it creates unwarranted damage to the members’ confidence in PIPSC and in unions in general. Negative campaigning includes statements made against the character of a candidate; or any statements that are, in the opinion of the Elections Committee, false, misleading, or unsubstantiated in their representation of a candidate, PIPSC or any of its constituent bodies, stewards, employees, executive members or other representatives. Candidates or their supporters may be required to provide evidence or arguments in defense of an allegation of negative campaigning. The Elections Committee will determine if the statement was, in fact, negative campaigning.
- It is unacceptable to offer incentives for voting in AV elections.
- Once an AV member has placed a vote, it may not in any way be revoked, altered or in any way changed.
- Voting results by candidates will be published on the PIPSC website.
Elections Committee: Tim Azab, Jo-Ann Foster (Staff Resource), Gordon Hiltz, Christine Lemay, James McMillan (Chair), Stephan Moushian, Patrick Provost